- Can I put golf shoes in the washing machine?
- Can you wash golf shoes in a dishwasher?
- What happens when you put leather shoes in a washing machine?
- Can you put Suede golf shoes in the washing machine?
- How do you wash golf shoes in the washing machine?
- Can Nike golf shoes go in the washing machine?
- Can Skechers golf shoes go in the washing machine?
- Can you put FootJoy golf shoes in the washing machine?
- Can you wash Ecco golf shoes in the washing machine?
Golf shoes eventually get dirty, just like any other type of shoe.
And when it’s time to clean them, the question arises of whether golf shoes can be put in washing machines or not.
In this blog post, we will answer this question, as well as provide some general tips on keeping your golf shoes looking their best!
Can I put golf shoes in the washing machine?
The answer is…it depends.
When it comes to cleaning golf shoes, there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Depending on the method, the number of cycles, temperature, the materials your shoes is made of, and the manufacturer’s instructions, washing golf shoes in the machine may or may not be a good idea.
Leather, fabric, and other materials all require different types of care when it comes to cleaning.
For example, some brands like Skechers make machine washable golf shoes made of textile uppers, just follow their instructions and throw them in. Other brands or materials aren’t made for that.
In general, however, cleaning with a damp cloth or handwashing is always the safest option.
So unless your golf shoes are particularly dirty or tough to clean, it’s best to avoid the washing machine and stick to manual cleaning instead.
Does putting shoes in the washing machine damage it?
Different materials require different methods of cleaning.
For example, leather is one material that should never go in the washing machine because it gets damaged.
Can you wash golf shoes in a dishwasher?
You might be wondering if you can wash your golf shoes in the dishwasher.
You’re not the first person to think of this idea, and the answer is absolutely not.
Dishwashers are designed to remove food and grease from dishes, not to clean delicate leather or fabric. In order to successfully clean the dishes, it uses a combination of high temperatures and chemicals detergents. This presents an environment which is very harsh on golf shoes.
The high heat of the dishwasher can cause the shoes to fade, shrink or melt some parts.
The detergent can dry out and damage any type of shoe, so don’t risk your golf shoe unless you’d like to experiment.
Can you put leather golf shoes in the washing machine?
Generally, you should never put leather golf shoes in the washing machine. Instead, use a soft brush or a leather cleaning kit to clean your shoes.
If your shoes are particularly dirty, you want to hand-clean them:
- Spot clean them with a damp cloth.
- Use a Leather Conditioner or Magic eraser sponge to remove stains.
- Be sure to let your shoe air dry completely before wearing them again.
By taking proper care of your leather golf shoes, you can extend their lifespan and keep them looking their best.
But if your shoes are old and you’re willing to take the risk, then:
- Use a detergent that is suitable for leather
- Use a gentle cycle with no softener.
- Leave your shoes to dry in a ventilated area
What happens when you put leather shoes in a washing machine?
Leather is a natural material that is both strong and flexible. However, it is also porous, meaning that it can absorb water and other liquids.
When leather gets wet, it can shrink, fade in color, and become misshapen.
The harsh detergents and high temperatures can damage the leather, making it more susceptible to cracking and fading.
For this reason, it’s generally not a good idea to put leather shoes in the washing machine.
Can you put Suede golf shoes in the washing machine?
You’ll find mixed opinions on the internet about whether or not you can put suede golf shoes in the washing machine. Many people say not to do it, as it can ruin the shoes, and that washing it in water makes the suede fabric weak.
However, some people say that it’s okay to do if you’re careful.
Here’s my recommendation:
- See the care instructions by the brand, it should give clear instructions on how best to clean your suede shoes
- Decide on how willing you are to take a risk and how much you care about your shoes.
If you do decide to put them in the washing machine, follow these steps to minimise the chances of damage.
- Use a suede brush to lightly clean the shoes before putting them in the washing machine.
- Use a detergent that is suitable for suede
- Don’t add a fabric softener
- Use gentle cycle only (for a full cycle).
- Pull out your shoes and leave them to dry completely
Ultimately, it’s up to you whether or not you want to risk washing your suede golf shoes in the machine.
How do you wash golf shoes in the washing machine?
If your shoes can actually be washed in a washing machine based on the manufacturer’s instructions, or if you decided to do it anyway, do the following steps. We’ve broken this down into 4 sections:
1) Pre-requisite Tools:
- Clean cloth
- Mesh washing bag
- Dry cloth or crumpled newspapers (to absorb moist)
- Shoe tree
- Brush (or any old toothbrush)
2) Pre-requisite supplies:
- Bowl of warm water.
- Dish Soap or Laundry detergent. (For light-colored shoes: Add 50% baking soda + 50% water)
- White Vinegar (recommended but not necessary).
- For leather shoes: Leather Conditioner
3) Before the wash:
- Remove the laces (unless it’s laceless or BOA) and handwash them with a brush.
- Remove the insoles (if they are not glued).
- Lightly wipe the upper & soles of your shoe to remove excessive dirt.
- Put the toothbrush in the soap/detergent and lightly brush the tough dirt & stains.
4) How to clean golf shoes in a washing machine?
Once you’ve done the earlier steps and you still feel your shoes aren’t clean enough then:
- Put your shoes & laces in the washing bag
- Throw them into the washing machine
- Put the settings on the “Gentle/Delicate” cycle.
- Take out the shoes & put them in a well-ventilated area.
- To speed up drying the inside of the shoes, insert the dry cloth or crumpled newspapers and let it in for 30-60 minutes.
- Put the shoe trees in to restore the shape of your shoes
- Let it continue to dry in a ventilated area with the shoe tree.
- When it’s 100% dry, then it’s ready to be worn again.
Can Nike golf shoes go in the washing machine?
As mentioned earlier, it’s best to avoid putting them in the washing machine because the heat and speed can cause most materials that makeup shoes to be damaged.
Nike golf shoes are no exception to this rule. Depending on the material, you may be able to machine wash your golf shoes on a delicate cycle with cold water.
Damage from the washing machine can void your Nike warranty, so handwashing is always the best way to clean golf shoes.
If you decide to handwash your golf shoes, then follow steps 1 to 3 of the above section, or check Nike’s instructions.
Can Skechers golf shoes go in the washing machine?
Skechers is known for their machine washable golf shoes.
However, it’s best to check that your exact shoes are indeed suitable for a washing machine.
Our recommendation remains that it’s always best to handwash golf shoes to avoid damaging them.
Can you put FootJoy golf shoes in the washing machine?
Unless Footjoy’s instructions explicitly state that it’s okay to put your shoes in the washing machine, it’s best to avoid doing so. So it’s always best to check with the FJ before taking any chances.
There is 2 reason for this:
- Most FJ golf shoes are typically made with delicate materials that can be easily damaged in the heat of the washing machine.
- If they do get damaged, you may lose out on the 1-year warranty.
Can you wash Ecco golf shoes in the washing machine?
It’s best to check Ecco‘s care instructions that came with the shoes, unless Ecco’s instructions clearly say your shoes washing machine friendly, then it’s recommended to manually handwash them.
Andy Starr is a golf writer with Apple Mountain Golf.
He’s been playing the game for more than 10 years and has a passion for it.
Andy also enjoys reviewing golf shoes and other equipment, which he posts on his blog.
When he’s not writing or playing golf, Andy can be found spending time with his wife and two young children.
When he was just out of college, he decided to turn his passion for the sport into a career and began writing about golf for Apple Mountain Golf.
Since then, Starr has become one of the most respected golf writers in the industry.
He has a gift for making complex topics easy to understand, and his articles are always filled with insights and tips that can help readers improve their game.
In addition to his work as a writer, Starr is also a highly regarded golf instructor.
He has taught at some of the biggest clubs in the country, and his students have gone on to win championships at all levels.
Whether he’s teaching or writing,